Its almost the end of the GSoC internship. From zero knowledge of Android to writing a proposal, proposal getting selected and finally 3 months working on the project was a great experience for me! I have learned a lot and I am really thankful to Jishnu Mohan for mentoring throughout .
Contributions include :-
- Adding Santali Layout
- Adding Soni layout : PR
- Adding the Language support feature at setup
- Adding the Add Theme feature at Setup
- Working on Merging AOSP code
All the tasks mentioned in the proposal were discussed and worked upon.
I started with making the designs of the layouts. The task was to make Santali Olchiki and Soni layouts for the keyboard. I looked at the code of the other layouts to get a basic understanding of how phonetic and inscript layouts work. Snapshot of one of the view of Santali keyboard :
Language Support Feature
While configuring languages, the user is prompted about the locales that might not be supported by the phone.
Adding Theme Feature
Feature is added at the setup to enable user to select the keyboard theme
Merging AOSP code
After looking at everything mentioned in the proposal, Jishnu gave me the job of merging AOSP source code to the keyboard as the current keyboard doesn’t have changes that were released along with android M code drop because of which target sdk is not 23 . There are a few errors yet to be resolved and I am working on that 😀
Overall, it was a wonderful journey and I will always want to be a contributor to the organisation as it introduced me to the world of open source and opened a whole new area to work upon and learn more.
Link to the discourse topic : https://discourse.indicproject.org/t/indic-keyboard-project/45
Thank You! 😀